Open Call is now digital!
Please be sure to read the information on this page carefully, as details have changed.
Open Call is now open.
All materials must be submitted to ITVS by 4:00 PM PST on Friday, January 17, 2014 PST.
Please follow the instructions carefully, as some requirements have changed. The step-by-step process is outlined below. Please read through all steps before submitting your application. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Alexandra Cantin (firstname.lastname@example.org) for help.
Note: All proposals must be accompanied by a work-in-progress video of the proposed program in the form of a downloadable link (i.e. Vimeo or Dropbox).
How to Apply
Open Call Application Materials
5. Work-in-progress video as a downloadable link, password included. Please note: the link should be valid until 3 months after the application deadline or longer.
6. Production Status Report, a downloadable Word document.
You will need to e-mail ALL of the above completed application materials at the same time in either PDF or Word document format to email@example.com.
Open Call Application Instructions
Step 1: Complete and SAVE Cover Sheet as a PDF or Word doc. Please make sure that all information is accurate before filling out your cover sheet. There is no way to make changes to the cover sheet once it is completed. Immediately after completing and submitting the cover sheet, you will need to SAVE it (as a PDF or Word document) and submit with your other application materials.
Step 2: E-mail Complete Application Materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please upload each document as indicated in the list above as a SEPARATE PDF or Word document in a single e-mail. Make sure that all materials are complete and that they follow all the required guidelines before submitting. We will NOT accept updates to your application materials after they have been sent to email@example.com.
Please name the documents as indicated below:
APPLICANT LAST NAME,FIRST INITIAL_FILM TITLE_ DOCUMENT NUMBER_DOCUMENT NAME.
- DOE, J_FILM TITLE_1_COVER SHEET
- DOE, J_FILM TITLE_2_PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
- DOE, J_FILM TITLE_3_RESUME AND CREW BIOS
- DOE, J_FILM TITLE_4_PCW & WIP DESCRIPTIONS
- DOE, J_FILM TITLE_5_WIP LINK W/ PASSWORD
- DOE, J_FILM TITLE_6_PRODUCTION STATUS REPORT
The subject line of the email should read: LAST NAME,FIRST INITIAL_FILM TITLE_OC14R1
You will receive an automatic confirmation email from ITVS indicating that we have received your application. We will later check each application to confirm that all the materials are present and that the work in progress is able to stream and download.
Do not send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions related to the application process please contact Alexandra Cantin, email@example.com
Part 1: Application cover sheet
You will provide general information about the project, the applicant(s), and budget. Here is a list of all the information you will need to complete your cover sheet. Once you have all the information ready, fill out the online application cover sheet.
After you’ve completed the application cover sheet, make sure to save it as a PDF or Word document. You will need to submit this cover sheet, along with your other application materials, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Part 2: Program description (up to three pages total)
Communicate your program idea with as much detail as possible within three pages. Be sure to include the following:
- A synopsis of the program
- A treatment specifying how you will translate your story from page to screen
- A discussion of theme, format, structure, style, and point of view
- The anticipated audience for the program. Are there specific communities (for example, defined by geography, ethnicity, class, or generation) who are the target audience for this program? In what way is this audience not being currently served by public television? How have you addressed the needs and interests of this audience? What is your relationship and access to this community?
- Reasons the program is appropriate for public television
- The current status of the project
Part 3: Production personnel (up to three pages each)
Applicants and Co-applicants must each submit a résumé (including their filmography). No summaries or blurbs will be accepted in place of a résumé, although a summary bio and filmography is acceptable. For the list of key production personnel only (additional directors or producers, advisors, editor, cinematographer/videographer, etc.), include name, position, and a short bio.
Part 4: Previously completed work and work-in-progress description (one page)
- Description of your Previously Completed Work, and a description of the applicant's role as credited. Even though you are not submitting a DVD of your previously completed work (see below), we still want to know why the film you list on the application form is relevant to the proposed program, whether on the basis of style, content, approach, etc.
- Description of your Work-In-Progress. Also, indicate if the work-in-progress is a rough cut, trailer, scene selects, etc. and specify the length of the work-in-progress.
Please note: Applicants are no longer required to submit a sample of a Previously Completed Work at Internal Review, but must be able to produce a copy upon request from ITVS. Applicants may submit a previously completed work in any genre and of any length, but must have held a primary production role: director, producer, co-director or co-producer.
Part 5: Work-in-progress video as a downloadable link
ITVS Open Call now only accepts works-in-progress between 8 and 30 minutes in length, unless you are submitting a full rough cut.
- Proposals must be accompanied by a work-in-progress video of the proposed program.The video you submit can be a full rough cut, a trailer, scene selects, etc.
- Please upload your work-in-progress video to a site (i.e. Vimeo or personal website) and include the link (and password if applicable) in a Word document. The link must be to a video that can be downloaded. The link must be valid until at least 3 months after the application deadline.
- DO NOT upload any video files to your email submission. If you have trouble accessing a video sharing site, please contact Alexandra Cantin (email@example.com) for help.
Part 6: Production Status Report
Applicants must download and complete the Production Status Report and send along with the other required materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The report requests more information on the following:
- Stage of production
- Distribution plans