In three of the past four years, ITVS surveyed independent producers to share their opinions, knowledge, and yes, anxiety, about changes in the digital marketplace. With this most recent survey in December of 2010, we took the opportunity to combine their responses with other ITVS research and observations on the landscape and its impact on producers, all as part of the mission of ITVS IndiesLab, our joint initiative with PBS to test and model independent filmmaker strategies for online distribution platforms.
This year's executive summary covers the following topics:
* Viewers: Where They Are, Where They Are Going
* Into the Looking Glass: What Can We Learn From the Music Industry and Hollywood
* Transition: How Will Independent Producers Adapt?
* Lessons From the Indies Lab: What Works?
* The Future: Why Serve the Public?