JOB SUMMARY: ITVS is looking for a Communications and Publicity Manager to help create systems and processes to manage the planning and development of regular communications for ITVS and its series and specials as it relates to media, public television stations Marketing and Communications teams, filmmakers and ultimately, general audiences and constituents. The outreach will take into consideration efforts and resources from across all departments including production, marketing, distribution & information, engagement and station relations. Working with the Senior Director of Communications, the Communications and Publicity Manager will help define and execute strategy for all our corporate communications and public relations. This includes building strong brand recognition for ITVS, Independent Lens and additional series and special projects launched through the organization. Included in this role, oversight responsibility for publicity strategy (TCA, PBS Annual Meeting, Sundance Film Festival, special screenings and events). The Communications and Publicity Manager will work to help develop impactful and streamlined messaging on a national and regional level.
This role is for a fully proficient, seasoned communications specialist who can work independently to develop, execute and evaluate communications strategies and publicity planning and execution. You’ll be partnering with internal and external teams to build creative strategies for our Emmy® Award-winning series Independent Lens as well as some ITVS funded films and projects. This candidate will have a strong in-depth knowledge of the media landscape and publicity and promotion trends.
- Research and write press releases, corporate marketing materials, newsletters (editing & writing), communications materials, and other organizational collateral
- Manage the content creation and graphic design process with creative and marketing departments for high priority collateral for communications, D&I, Station Relations
- Managing incoming media requests and work with Senior Director to build relationships with journalists; create, execute and measure media campaigns
- Manage outside PR Agency handling Independent Lens and other publicity consultants as needed
- Develop public relations strategies for each Independent Lens film working with PR agency, marketing team and D&I teams to ensure strong and consistent campaigns from the moment film is greenlit for broadcast through premiere date
- Manage onboarding process and relationships with new filmmakers each season as it relates to public relations strategy; as needed also manage their agency or independent publicists to ensure a smooth campaign through life of the film
- Working with outside agency and internal marketing, identify best clips from each film and identify possible media partners for exclusive placements
- Build upon and manage social media influencer database to help with broadcast tune-in and awareness for Independent Lens
- Oversee relationships with PBS station publicity and communications teams; working cross-departmentally to insure messaging and contacts from ITVS outward are streamlined with PBS stations and partners (ie. PBS, APT, NETA)
- Take on a range of projects related to corporate communications and publicity on behalf of all ITVS brands and series including strategy for season/special launch, tracking and management
- Manage and maintain PBS Press Room for Independent Lens
- Manage and maintain My PBS presence for ITVS and its series and specials
- Oversee talent coordination for Independent Lens press appearances
- Develop and support outreach campaigns for Independent Lens films geared at creating partnerships around broadcast.
- Solicit screeners and materials for programs to support internal and external stakeholders during promotional development
- Analyze publicity campaign metrics and results and report to senior director
- Devise and implement project timelines working within Workfront Project Management Software
- Prepare narrative and data reports on public relations and promotions strategy outcomes as requested by the Executive Team and ITVS Board
- Create and archive past promotional campaigns
- Apply ITVS values to Communications Department culture
- College degree or equivalent work experience
- 3-5+ years of marketing/advertising work experience in one of the following areas: broadcast or cable network, public media, marketing, advertising agency, or brand management
- Established expertise with communication, promotion and publicity concepts, creative development processes (creative brief, working with marketing directors, planning promotional campaigns and comfortable building relationships with targeted media)
- Project management skills with experience in project management software
- Strong ability to derive creative strategies, review creative concepts and provide detailed follow-through on campaigns
- Direct experience in the consumer discipline, consumer promotion and entertainment industry
- Knowledge of Public Media system
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Social media acumen a must
ABOUT ITVS Independent Television Service, Inc. (ITVS) is a nonprofit organization chartered by Congress to make unique and compelling programs for public television. ITVS, a recipient of the 2017 Peabody Institutional Award, brings to local and national audiences high-quality, content-rich programs created by a diverse body of independent producers. ITVS programs reflect underrepresented and underserved communities.
ABOUT INDEPENDENT LENS Independent Lens is an Emmy® Award-winning weekly series airing on PBS. The acclaimed anthology series features documentaries and a limited number of fiction films united by the creative freedom, artistic achievement, and unflinching visions of their independent producers. Independent Lens features unforgettable stories about unique individuals, communities, and moments in history
TO APPLY Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with COMMS & PR MANAGER/YOUR NAME in subject line. No calls please.
ITVS is an equal opportunity employer and will consider qualified applicants with arrest records in a manner consistent with the requirement of San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.