ITVS is searching for a Business & Legal Affairs Contracts Attorney. This position will primarily be responsible for managing rights and clearances issues, but will also handle a wide array of responsibilities related to the licensing, development, production, and distribution of ITVS’s programming. The successful candidate will have the opportunities to be part of a mission-driven non-profit company with a reputation for producing and licensing for distribution respected, high quality documentary productions and television series, including Independent Lens, and will contribute to ITVS’s efforts to shape the future of television. The legal team at ITVS focuses on collaborating with its business partners to help foster innovation.
- Partner with the program production, acquisitions, marketing, and distribution teams to ensure that program legal deliverables comply with ITVS requirements
- Review and approve copyright registrations, insurance policies, underlying rights acquisition agreements, funding agreements, and distribution agreements
- Negotiate and draft agreements necessary to license, develop and/or produce ITVS’s slate of high-profile documentaries, docu-series, and digital programming
- Ability to counsel business partners and make decisions that have both legal and business impacts
- Admitted to practice law in California
- 1-2 years of legal experience, ideally in television or film
- Experience with acquisition and distribution agreements, or similar experience with regard to clearing underlying rights for filmed media projects highly desirable
- Familiarity with the development, production, and distribution of documentaries, docu-series, and digital programming, and/or financing agreements is a plus.
- Fluency with related documents/issues (e.g., production services agreements, talent agreements, chain-of-title review, insurance) is ideal
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical capabilities and judgment.
- Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively cross-functionally, think practically and be solution- oriented.
- Willingness to tackle matters outside area of expertise.
- Proficiency with Google mail, calendar, and documents is ideal and knowledge of M-Files, FileMaker, and FilmTrack is a plus.
Independent Television Service, Inc. (ITVS) is a nonprofit organization chartered by Congress to make unique and compelling programs for public television. ITVS brings to local and national audiences high-quality, content-rich programs created by a diverse body of independent producers. ITVS programs reflect underrepresented and underserved communities. (www.itvs.org).
Please submit cover letter and resume through our career site. No calls please.
ITVS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.