JOB SUMMARY: ITVS is seeking an organized and analytical Director of Distribution to join the Audience Development department in San Francisco, California. This person plays a critical leadership role within the Communications team; leading distribution strategy and operations for ITVS content. The director plays a key role to identify, evaluate, structure and help implement business growth opportunities in the digital media space and negotiate windowing strategies and deals that our filmmakers negotiate within public television community and commercial partnership space (Amazon, Netflix, Hulu).
The Director will be the onsight expert on behalf of ITVS and its full catalog and collaborating with senior management to generate customized and general licensing solutions for ITVS filmmakers. This position will strategically work with distribution partners globally, including public media, to grow existing opportunities and uncover potential opportunities within distribution. The Director ensures contract terms to maximize the value of ITVS investment, comply with federal funding requirements, and align with audience development strategies. He/she will collaborate closely across departments to ensure cross-pollination with distribution, marketing, station relations, communications, engagement and events.
- Represent ITVS and Independent Lens content pipeline and catalog through mastery of title availability, rights, and opportunities for niche- or genre-based offerings
- Develop distribution strategy to filmmakers and collaborate with Legal & Business Affairs to negotiate third-party platform deals
- Lead filmmaker relations from production delivery to distribution, communicating the value of ITVS services
- Advise on filmmaker-led impact campaigns with projects that land outside of the national programming schedule
- Oversee one-off distribution on public media outside of the national program schedule (ie. APT and NETA)
- Lead projects as assigned by the Senior Director, Communications including: creation of an ITVS catalog; industry research of trends and breaking technology and reporting out across internal teams on findings; and the valuation of ITVS catalog
- Monitor industry trends with regards to new distribution platforms and evolving platform preferences among media consumers
- Research new and evolving platforms for distribution opportunities with ITVS catalog
- Deliver outline of ITVS strategy that identifies distribution partners and landscape where we would see best return for new distribution deals
- Develop forward-looking strategies for collaboration with public media strands, with an eye toward optimizing the ITVS catalog
- Manage one direct report
- Lead filmmaker orientation presentations
- Minimum of 7 years management experience in sales and partnership development especially in either the digital space and/or entertainment/public media
- High TV IQ -- candidate must know the TV/SVOD/OTT landscape and be passionate about television
- Proven track record of effectively managing and reporting on detail-oriented projects
- Experience interfacing with clients and partners and creating effective presentations
- Experience in exploring and negotiating new business models/developing licensing and sell sheets/ understanding rights
- Experience working on multiple, prospective deals with the ability to prioritize appropriately
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to think strategically
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Superior problem-solving skills & organizational skills
ABOUT ITVS: Independent Television Service, Inc. (ITVS) is a nonprofit organization chartered by Congress to make unique and compelling programs for public television. ITVS, a recipient of the 2017 Peabody Institutional Award, brings to local and national audiences high-quality, content-rich programs created by a diverse body of independent producers. ITVS programs reflect underrepresented and underserved communities.
TO APPLY: Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com with DISTRIBUTION DIRECTOR/YOUR NAME in subject line. No calls please.
ITVS is an equal opportunity employer and will consider qualified applicants with arrest records in a manner consistent with the requirement of San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.