The Director of Content and Initiatives is a key leadership position in the Programming and Production department and within ITVS as an institution. As a leader in the independent filmmaking field and the organization, the Director serves as a liaison between ITVS and the independent and public television communities with a particular focus on cultivating relationships with content creators; sourcing and developing talent and content; and maintaining positive and productive relationships with our funding and co-producing partners.
With a commitment to quality, diversity and innovation, the Director participates on the ITVS Content Strategy Team while overseeing ITVS open production funding initiatives (Open Call and Digital Open Call) through all phases of review, evaluation, and selection. The Director represents ITVS’s content initiatives in the field and is the primary point of contact with producers, applicants, partners, and ITVS staff. The Director maintains a development portfolio, acting as a consulting producer on a select number of projects. The Director plays an integral part in shaping and adapting ITVS’s funding initiative strategies and provides management, mentorship, and supervision to programming staff.
In addition, the Director of Content and Initiatives follows and analyzes trends in the independent documentary and public media landscape, both digital and broadcast, and can represent ITVS externally.
- Serve on ITVS Content Strategy team
- Responsible for the oversight and management of the ITVS Open Funding Initiatives – Open Call and Digital Open Call, managing all phases of review, working closely with Programming, Production and Business Affairs staff
- Communicate with prospective applicants, providing support and guidance on initiative guidelines, budgetary questions and project proposals
- Manage peer panel review, and internal program selection meetings
- Collaborate with Programming and Production leadership to create, align and maintain Open funding initiative specific policies and
- Collect, analyze, and report on critical data that informs and supports content, business development and institutional strategies.
- Inform strategy and implementation for the ITVS Diversity Development Fund (DDF), aligning content strategy and workflow with other open funding initiatives
- Participate in the review and vetting of development projects that fit within this fund
- Maintain a portfolio of development projects, serving as a consulting producer alongside filmmakers and supervising producers to ensure the highest quality programming
- Cultivate and maintain positive relationships with key coproducing and funding partners
- Represent ITVS content strategy and initiatives at external field relations activities at a leadership level
- Identify internal and external opportunities and emerging challenges the organization faces, and work with leadership team to define and execute appropriate strategies to address them
- Participate in ITVS producers’ orientations across department and organization
- Support strategic direction and decision making within funding initiatives
- Nurture and actively contribute to a team environment in which new ideas to achieve outcomes and solutions to problems are actively contributed and can flourish
- Promote and model culture of high performance and commitment to quality and diversity
- Maintain the highest caliber internal and external communications and relationships that strengthen ITVS culture of teamwork and integrity
- Minimum 10 years direct experience in nonfiction programming, broadcasting, curating, and/or producing.
- 10+ years of experience in developing film/television content and providing feedback
- Strong knowledge of and positive relationship with independent producers from culturally diverse backgrounds working in long and short form social issue documentary (digital and broadcast)
- Knowledge of public media desirable
- Experience working in an institutional setting including strong collaboration and teamwork skills and desire to support public institution
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Proven experience in project management in a fast-paced environment including strong digital information systems management
- High level of flexibility and adaptability
- Willingness to travel domestically, as required
ABOUT ITVS: Independent Television Service, Inc. (ITVS) is a nonprofit organization chartered by Congress to make unique and compelling programs for public television. ITVS, a recipient of the 2017 Peabody Institutional Award, brings to local and national audiences high-quality, content-rich programs created by a diverse body of independent producers. ITVS programs reflect underrepresented and underserved communities.