ITVS’s Engagement & Impact unit expands the reach of its content with audiences working in partnership with PBS stations and NGO partner networks. The Director of Engagement and Impact is responsible for overseeing production of events that expand public dialogue around issues presented in ITVS films and programming. The Director is responsible for driving work to organize external partners (PBS stations, NGOs, corporate sponsors, and individual influencers) in regions across the U.S. This person develops long term impact and engagement strategies for achieving programmatic and institutional goals. He/She also develops and maintains relationships with public television stations and engagement allies in the media industry at-large.
- Drive strategic direction for the Indie Lens Pop-Up program, including leading overall engagement strategies and tactics, aligning work with departmental and institutional priorities, evaluating the program’s impact, and evolving the program strategy.
- Integrate digital engagement tactics into Indie Lens Pop-up leveraging the OVEE platform
- Build audience amongst key populations
- Secure national partnerships
- Lead evaluation design of Indie Lens Pop-Up and other community engagement activities
- Experiment with new approaches to audience engagement to advance Indie Lens Pop-Up social impact goals
- Facilitates understanding and helps ITVS assess how changes in the media impact landscape can be responded to in ways that will ensure the long-term sustainability of Indie Lens Pop-up
- Identify and onboard new engagement leads, growing partnership opportunities to expand on the ground activities
- Engage with diverse stakeholders to accurately assess potential for engagement opportunities on a national level on behalf of the entire institution
- Establish systems for scaling capacity-building support and training for participating partners in the Indie Lens Pop-Up program (via webinars, small group trainings, conference workshops and more)
- Provide consultation to select ITVS-funded filmmakers, including providing leadership on engagement campaign strategy and design
- Develop and execute impact and engagement strategies around ITVS-owned digital content
- Serve as the organization’s main liaison to PBS Learning Media, and lead strategy development on using Learning Media to increase visibility of Independent Lens content and resources among educators
- Build and maintain relationships with media impact allies in public media and stay apprised of new and ongoing campaigns and initiatives in the broader media impact field
- Develop and maintain relationships with key venues and other high-visibility partners that can help Indie Lens Pop-Up reach a diverse set of Gen-X audiences.
- Regularly report on impact strategies and impact evaluation approaches in the media industry at-large, consider opportunities to incorporate or adapt certain strategies into ITVS’s work
- Represent ITVS on panels, public media conferences, and other convenings relevant to the media impact field
- Lead and supervise a team of 2 engagement and impact staff and several consultants
- Manage engagement budget, in consultation with Senior Director, Communications
- Experience and proven success in leading the strategic development, design and implementation of community engagement campaigns; experience in educational outreach and engagement a plus.
- Experience developing and sustaining national, regional and local partnerships in support of program or campaign activities; experience building collaborative relationships amongst a diverse range of stakeholders
- Experience developing campaign resource materials such as discussion guides and educational curriculum
- Be extremely detail oriented, organized, flexible, able to meet deadlines, and adapt to new and changing responsibilities
- Minimum of 7 years in program and staff management and supervision; social media marketing and public media experience a plus
- Be proactive and self-motivated with demonstrated ability to take initiative, prioritize tasks, and think strategically
- Strong written and oral communication skills; diplomacy and strong facilitation and presentation skills are key
- Self-directed and team-spirited
- Advance skills with project management tools and other software including FileMaker, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. Experience with Word Press, MailChimp, webinar platforms (Any Meeting, Go To Meeting, etc.), and/or WorkFront is a plus.
- Interest and/or knowledge in independent films, documentaries, community engagement, broadcast television, and/or event planning a plus
ABOUT ITVS: Independent Television Service, Inc. (ITVS) is a nonprofit organization chartered by Congress to make unique and compelling programs for public television. ITVS, a recipient of the 2017 Peabody Institutional Award, brings to local and naional audiences high-quality, content-rich programs created by a diverse body of independent producers. ITVS programs reflect underrepresented and underserved communities.
TO APPLY: Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com with ENGAGEMENT DIRECTOR/YOUR NAME in subject line. No calls please.
ITVS is an equal opportunity employer and will consider qualified applicants with arrest records in a manner consistent with the requirement of San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.