ITVS seeks a seasoned entertainment marketing pro to develop, drive, and evaluate multi-faceted campaigns that strengthen the organization’s relationship with the documentary film community, general audiences, and ultimately the American public.
The Marketing Director will take into consideration efforts and resources from across all ITVS departments, including business affairs, programming and production, publicity and station relations, engagement, distribution, as well as trends in the filmmaking field, among audiences, and the competitive landscape to ensure a holistic marketing approach.
Working with the Senior Director of Marketing, the Director will define and execute the strategy for all inbound and traditional marketing efforts. The Director’s scope of work includes both B2B marketing strategies in support of ITVS institutional positioning among business stakeholders and B2C methods that support increasing viewership and cultivating rich audience engagement for our Emmy® Award-winning series Independent Lens on PBS, and additional public media brands and special projects launched through the organization.
- Provide management leadership in the Audience Development department and the ITVS Director team.
- Lead and help shape complex, multi-faceted inbound and traditional marketing strategies to increase viewership and audience engagement with ITVS programs at all consumption points: on-air, online, and on the ground.
- Identify unique marketing opportunities and creative strategies to strengthen the position of ITVS and its subsidiary brands and programs amongst filmmakers, funders, distributors, strategic partners, and the general public.
- Participate in annual business planning, establish goals, set KPIs and benchmarks, and measure outcomes against benchmarks, recommending optimizations quarterly and throughout campaign lifecycles.
- Monitor audience and industry trends and the competitive environment, anticipating shifts in the marketplace.
- Conduct market research using a mix of approaches that capture actionable insights and lead the effort to build staff learning & evaluation skills that supports a nimble approach.
- Provide leadership to marketing strategists, digital content producers, social media managers, creative services, and communications teams to align strategies across audience development channels while ensuring a holistic marketing approach with other ITVS business units, taking into account all consumer and industry touchpoints with the organization.
- Participate in cross-functional strategy teams to maintain business inputs and outputs support short, mid-term, and long-term business goals.
- Manage onboarding process and relationships with new filmmakers as it relates to marketing strategy through the lifecycle of a film.
- Advise on and approve campaign creative briefs easily understood by all ITVS stakeholders.
- Lead a team of marketers to plan and execute a paid media budget for traditional and digital buys.
- Lead stakeholder outreach, building relationships within the public media and the entertainment industry.
- Oversee external agencies, management level, and associate marketing strategists.
- Directors spend approximately 65% of their time managing their own area of work, 15% of their time building the institution, and 20% of their time on individual creative contribution.
- Hold mastery of their unit area of work as they drive quality execution for their area, manage the unit and portfolio of projects, inform the strategy, synthesize analysis into strategy, drive data management activities, and make decisions and/or take action with imperfect information to predict outcomes with certainty.
- Accountable and responsible for creating and tracking budget, and mentoring and coaching staff.
- Inform resource allocation, strategic direction, and decision making for their unit.
- Practice and hold the work environment of their unit in alignment with prescribed ITVS values.
- Develop and manage their staff through developing measurable goals, monitoring progress, and giving feedback to make adjustments.
- Project integrity and credibility to earn the respect of external and internal stakeholders, manage external relations with constituents, and clearly and consistently articulate organizational and departmental visions and strategies.
- Model effective relationships with peers through horizontal communication and practice and hold department/units accountable for communicating effectively and empathetically.
- Seek and integrate constructive feedback.
- Minimum 3-5 years experience in leadership or project management position.
- Minimum 5-7 years experience in developing advanced marketing concepts.
- Ability to see and make decisions in a changing media environment.
- Leadership and experience in developing and mentoring staff.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to thrive and work creatively in a fast-paced, structured environment.
- Flexible, collaborative, and a sense of humor.
Please submit cover letter and resume through our career site. No calls please.
ITVS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.