The Director of Engagement and Impact is responsible for implementing and overseeing the engagement and impact program that uses independent documentary films to convene audiences and catalyze civic dialogue around timely and relevant issues. The Director develops programmatic and institutional goals in consultation with the Sr. Director of Engagement and Impact and builds and maintains relationships with public television stations and other allies in the media industry at-large.
Engagement and Impact
- Drive strategic direction of the Indie Lens Pop-Up program, aligning with public media and ITVS priorities, evaluating the program’s impact across platforms, and evolving the program strategy
- Integrate digital engagement tactics into Indie Lens Pop-up leveraging the OVEE platform
- Build audience among key populations
- Establish systems for scaling capacity-building support and training for participating partners in the Indie Lens Pop-Up program (via webinars, small group trainings, conference workshops and more)
- In partnership with the Sr. Director of Engagement and Impact and the Sr. Director of National Partnerships identify, research, and secure national partnerships for Indie Lens Pop-Up community engagement activations on the ground and digitally
- Pilot new approaches to audience engagement to advance Indie Lens Pop-Up social impact goals
- Identify and onboard new engagement partners with emphasis on public media stations and allies
- Produce OVEE events in coordination with OVEE Producer and Sr. Director
- Provide consultation to select ITVS-funded filmmakers, including providing leadership on engagement campaign strategy and design
- Serve as the organization’s main liaison to PBS Education, and lead strategy development on using LearningMedia, OVEE, and to increase the visibility of Independent Lens content
- Lead and supervise a team of 3 engagement and impact staff and consultants
- Manage engagement budget, in consultation with Senior Director of Engagement and Impact
- Lead execution and experimental design of Indie Lens Pop-Up and other community engagement activities
- Develop and maintain relationships with key venues and other high-visibility partners that can help Indie Lens Pop-Up reach a diverse set of audiences
- Lead speaker research and outreach
- Create and track event budgets
- Maintain local audience lists for key markets, initativing registration, developing email invitations, leading follow-up communication, and metrics collection.
- Manage event creative deliverables including video, print, and digital communication
- Coordinates vendor contracting for engagement activations
- Create event run of shows, tech notes, speaker packets, and moderator scripts for engagement events
- Minimum of 7 years experience and proven success in leading the strategic development, design and implementation of community engagement campaigns; experience in educational outreach and engagement a plus.
- Minimum of 2 years in program and staff management and supervision
- Experience developing and sustaining national, regional and local partnerships in support of program or campaign activities; experience building collaborative relationships amongst a diverse range of stakeholders
- Experience developing campaign resource materials such as discussion guides and educational curriculum
- Extremely detail-oriented, organized, flexible, able to meet deadlines, and adapt to new and changing responsibilities
- Be proactive and self-motivated with demonstrated ability to take initiative, prioritize tasks, and think strategically
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Self-directed and team-spirited
- Interest and/or knowledge in independent films, documentaries, community engagement, broadcast television, and/or event planning a plus
ITVS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.