Prizes include a signed print from Marwencoland an original painting from Mikey Welsh (former Weezer bassist)
In celebration of Artists Month, we're putting out a call for entries to you -- our creative audience -- to create and submit a piece of artwork that best reflects you. We're looking for expressions of identity and creativity here: Perhaps it's a self-portrait, or a photograph of a beloved object, a diorama scene, or a collage of found objects. Prizes will be awarded to all who enter, but the further along you advance in the competition, the better the goods you'll win!
We were inspired by the docs airing this month and the artists they celebrate: Vik Muniz's portraits made with garbage in Waste Land; the graffiti artwork in Tamra Davis's Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child; and Mark Hogancamp's spectacularly evocative photographs of his entirely original universe in the film Marwencol. In that spirit, we created this contest to celebrate that original vision in you, our raison d'etre.
• Entries should be created with found objects at minimal to zero cost
• A JPEG of the artwork must be emailed to ILartistsmonth@itvs.org by noon PST on Monday, April 18.
• A brief caption (200 words or fewer) must be included, describing your artwork and what inspired you.
• Contestants must include their full mailing address in order to receive prizes.
• All who submit will automatically be mailed an original 24 x 19-inch Independent Lens season poster featuring the artist Jean-Michel Basquiat.
• Finalists, announced on Tuesday, April 19 will receive a poster of the Oscar-nominated film Waste Landautographed by Director Lucy Walker.
• Art by our finalists will be opened for a popular vote on our blog.
• The Runner Up will receive a signed print by Mark Hogancamp, subject of Marwencol
• The Grand Prize winner will be profiled on our website Tuesday, April 26, and will receive a one-of-a-kind original painting from outsider artist Mikey Welsh (former bassist for the band Weezer).
Really, you can't lose by entering, but you could win a lot of unique prizes that most of our staff wishes they could keep for themselves (it's true!).
For inspiration purposes, take a moment and watch the clips from the film below and get cracking!
Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child (premieres April 12)
Waste Land (premieres April 19)
Marwencol (premieres April 26)
ITVS is pleased to welcome Brandii Rice as our new Head of Business and Legal Affairs. In her role Rice will oversee business and legal affairs across the ITVS brand portfolio. In addition, she will guide licensing and business strategies to support ITVS’ content development, production, distribution and audience development goals. She will join ITVS…
Carrie Lozano joins ITVS from the Sundance Institute, where she served as director of Documentary Film and Artist Programs, supporting boundary-breaking filmmakers across the globe. At ITVS, she will continue to protect independent artists’ voices, editorial control and copyright while elevating nonfiction storytelling as an essential strategy…